24 November 2015

Review: EVERY DAY

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day. 

“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough. 

I remember coming across this book because it somehow struck me as different from all the other books I've read and not a big fan of SciFi, I wouldn't know if there's a book/story similar to this. Anyway, because of the presence/existence of this book, I came to love David Levithan to the point I bought all his books in paperback and like what I've mentioned before in one of my reviews, I don't just buy paperbacks, I make sure that that book is worthy of my penny/buck and that I am totally in love with it that I just really need a physical copy of it sitting in my shelf.
“It's one thing to fall in love. It's another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a responsibility toward that love.” 


Twistedly, I love this book despite it's flaws, as people would say. Yes, I am one of those people who just felt something in us move upon reading this. Cheesy? I know. I'm sorry. Reading this book irritated me. Why? Simply because I was imagining myself as A, going through all those situations, lacking sexual identification, lacking a real life, basically lacking the means of being a real person/identity. It's infuriating. 
"The past and future are what's complicated. It's the present that's simple."
I must say, A's character is not unlikable. You could get fond of him/her and I like how we are able to see how he lives the lives of the host and at the same time, create meaningful moments or help the host at some point.  It's like story after a story after a story within a bigger story. I admire how the author made us feel that we could never be lost in those throngs of stories, that we are still intact with the big picture.  The stories varies, there's humourous, downright sad and tragic so it's never dull. There's something new to look forward to.
I got frustrated when it came to the end because I was looking for answers, wanted answers as to why A's is experiencing it/this but as I come realize, the questions left unaswered are what makes this book different and special. I mean, the whole point of the story is not knowing who A is or where A came from, the whole point is philosophical and could vary on how the reader perceives it.


“I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.”
With A's love interest. I'm just not quite ecstatic about it. I have no idea what makes Rhiannon different from the others, was it her relationship with the self-centered jerk? But who knows, it may not be as understandable to readers like me (A's relationship with her) but I guess A have found some kind of connection with her that he/she never found from anyone all throughout his life situation. I'm totally gonna read Six Days Earlier.

“I love you-I do-but I am afraid of making that love too important. Because you're always going to leave me, A. We can't deny it. You're always going to leave.” 

I kind of pity her because I could only imagine how overwhelming it was to have a bomb dropped into your lap out of  nowhere. It's fantastical and it would be hard to absorb but at some point she did. And I'm glad she did because I know how hard it might be for A to not find someone who would understand his/her situation and be acknowledged as something/someone he/she really wants. I just love the idea that A was not alone anymore and that there was someone he/she could confide into. That is refreshing.

“This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it’s just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.” 
I don't know but at the end of reading this, I felt comfort and sadness and I just found myself daydreaming for a few minutes. Some may not understand what I mean but it was what it was. It sure made an impact in me and I'm pretty sure to most of its readers too. It's just bittersweet. I may not be a fan of Rhiannon but A saying goodbye to her was just so heartbreaking for me. The story may sound aggravating or confusing but I'd like you guys to give it a shot, take a moment and learn to know its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment