21 November 2015

Review: LOSING IT (LOSING IT #1)



Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible - a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.


“Sex.
I was going to have sex.
With a boy.
A hot boy.
A hot BRITISH boy.
Or maybe I was going to throw up.
What if I threw up on the hot British boy?
What if I threw up on the hot British boy DURING SEX?”

The cover didn't give much impact and so did the plot. I guess I already predicted what was going to happen and I've read a bunch of novels where a 20s virgin girl is determined to lose her V-card with the help of a very liberated bff. Shocking? Nah. I blame the synopsis coz it actually gave off everything so there's not much of a surprise there. 

It's just so weird how they met. I mean, the guy was reading in a bar. For starters, no one could be able to read in a bar. There's no chance for him to focus on what he was reading coz it's a bar. I'm pretty sure he looked absolutely stupid reading there. He could've just went some place if he really wanted to read and kill time at the same time. Just saying.

I didn't get much connection with any of the characters. Well, I guess I had with Garrick since he reminds me so much of my boyfriend. I only meant the British blood and the fact that his first name is my beau's last name. It's so weird. 

Anyway, Garrick lacks character. Aside from his British accent there seemed to be nothing more about him. There is no chemistry between him and Bliss. I felt like it was too fast.I don't see any development. I mean, they only met in a bar and wanted to have a one night stand but failed miserably. They don't know each other that much. They're completely strangers and yet, the author wants Garrick to just have this sort of jealousy streak in him. I'm thinking that it would be rational for him to feel the need to be possessive or territorial over Bliss if the both of them actually had the chance to build some sort of relationship/connection/intimacy between them aside from awkward "was-supposed-to-have-sex".

And don't let me start with the dropping of I love you's. That's just ridiculously stupid for me.

“Some relationships just end. Like a star, they burn bright and brilliant, and then nothing in particular goes wrong, they just reach their end. They burn out.”
Bliss's came out to me as cliché. She is described as awkward but the only thing that's making her awkward was the fact that she was a virgin 20 something girl (which btw, is not an awkward thing for me). Her description contradicts her actions in the story. She's actually perfect in the story. She's gorgeous without knowing it (cliché), gets the man (cliché) and has a good circle of friends. I just think she's a tad stupid. I mean. the lie with her nonexistent cat? It was funny for a moment but hey, a five year old kid could really come up with a better one than her. I feel like it's the author's way of making her seemed awkward but then failed miserably. I just didn't feel any passion and want and need in either of the characters. I mean, this is a forbidden love story. A professor and a student. I am supposed to feel as if this is a guilty pleasure, some exciting breaking of rules. Some sort of a promising taboo story. 

Although I could say that the first few chapters made me chuckle a little. I could picture the scene it was a little bit funny for me and there are some funny lines too that I could actually use as a reference in the future. But basically, that's all of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment