25 November 2015

Review: THE LOVER'S DICTIONARY


A modern love story told through a series of dictionary-style entries is a sequence of intimate windows into the large and small events that shape the course of a romantic relationship.  Anyway, I love this book and I've read this like a couple of times ever since I've bought a copy. It's a very interesting read. For starters, it's not your average story constructed in paragraphs. This one is in a dictionary form. For some that may encounter it for the first time, it may look like an ordinary dictionary that has little story in each words but it actually follows a story of a couple and how their relationship have progress/developed, complications that came along the way and the sweet moments they had. 

“Trying to write about love is ultimately like trying to have a dictionary represent life. No matter how many words there are, there will never be enough.” 

What I love about this is that the protagonist may not be introduced in a way that other books do, it still did not became a hindrance for the story to evolve. It's a different kind of approach, unique and unconventional flavor but still gives you the feels that you are looking for. It's realistic, any person that are and were part of a relationship may relate to. I would go far and say that even those who aren't in any relationship would actually enjoy the entries. This book basically have let us peek into a relationship with real ups and downs.
It's raw, emotional, poignant, funny, infuriating, heartbreaking and just beautiful in any sense. It's like reading poetry or little snippets of a show but the thing is, it's not selfish. The reader can still fully understand the situation. It's romantic nonetheless and I am always left sighing in amazement and contentment when I finished it. I highlighted all the entries because they're just gorgeous and clever.

But here are some of the entries that hit me.

“misgivings, n.

Last night, I got up the courage to ask you if you regretted us.
"There are things I miss," you said. "But if I didn't have you, I'd miss more.” 

“abstraction, n.
Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours. It's not as if I can conjure you up completely. I must embrace the idea of you instead.”

“breathtaking, adj.
Those mornings when we kiss and surrender for an hour before we say a single word.”
“flux, n.

The natural state. Our moods change. Our lives change. Our feelings for each other change. Our bearings change. The song changes. The air changes. The temperature of the shower changes.
Accept this. We must accept this.” 

1 comment:

  1. I love this book. The entries are good as quotes.

    ReplyDelete