16 November 2015

Review: HOPELESS

 Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies… That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried. Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

“Fuck all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.” 

This book is the first book of Colleen Hoover that I got and I've read this like years ago. I remember just going through Goodreads and looking for something worthy to hoard/read when I came across with this title. Most of the time when I look for new reads, I usually go after the high ratings of the book followed by good reviews then the plot. The first two were promising and the latter part was a bit off for me. I wasn't instantaneously hooked with the plot but you know, when people are making a buzz out of something, you tend to become curious. That was what happened to me.

"And once again in my new world full of heartache and lies, this hopeless boy finds a way to make me smile." 
While the rest of the readers of this book were moved, teary-eyed, overpowered with such sadness upon reading it, I was not entirely impressed. I guess at the back of my mind I already knew the twist coming my way. Holder is intense and mysterious and not in a good way for me. I mean, if I were Sky, I'd prolly be so uncomfortable with him around and would kick his ass. I would not let some guy come up to me and demand things from me as if I owe him big. I would not even let that guy pass without making a dent on his face. And I would NEVER fall in love with him too because I'd probably be more cautious around that guy and would look after my well being first than thinking of how gorgeous he is.

"But I'm not falling in love with her piece by piece anymore. I'm in love with the whole girl. Every single piece of her."
The story is not hard to understand. There's not much of a surprise or a big BANG in the middle. 

I really cringe every time a female protagonist salivates over a "handsome" or "hot" guy in the story. I mean, can't for once the guy be a little bit not so attractive to the point that not all the girls in the story wants to lick him up? Excuse my French. And to make matters worst, he's abusive and more of a stalker. And this guy is her love interest? Oh dear. Help this poor girl. But guess what, she describes him as "scary but beautiful." Another female protagonist to fell on to the palms of another abusive YET handsome guy. Bravo!
"I need to know how to rely on myself to stay strong because I'm the only one I can trust."
I also am not a big fan of Sky because I've noticed that she keeps on criticizing other girls and comparing herself to them. Then she keeps on saying that she's not a slut because she haven't slept with anyone even the "lots of people I made out with". And take note, she keeps on slut-shaming them after, of course, she stereotype them. It's as if she's the only girl in the story that is pure and chaste and could not and never be associated with the term "slut" because why? She freaking reads! What's up with that? 

I know protagonists are not perfect and all but could you please make her character a little bit nicer? Her character is not really someone that should be somebody's favourite.

The story lacks a lot in the consistency department, people and yet everyone is just swooned. There's a lot to consider before falling in love to such book. It's a shame that this book are read by young readers because it basically promotes unhealthy relationship. The message that this book basically wants to tell everyone is if you have an issue or something, just find yourself a hot (and abusive) guy to fix you because later on, you two would have sex to make you feel better. Again, excuse my French.

No comments:

Post a Comment