28 December 2015

Review: RANDOM

RandomWho's the real victim here? This tense and gripping exploration of cyberbullying and teen suicide is perfect for fans of Before I Fall and Thirteen Reasons Why.

Late at night Tori receives a random phone call. It's a wrong number. But the caller seems to want to talk, so she stays on the line.


He asks for a single thing—one reason not to kill himself.


The request plunges her into confusion. Because if this random caller actually does what he plans, he'll be the second person connected to Tori to take his own life. And the first just might land her in jail. After her Facebook page became Exhibit A in a tragic national news story about cyberbullying. Tori can't help but suspect the caller is a fraud. But what if he’s not? Her words alone may hold the power of life or death.


With the clock ticking, Tori has little time to save a stranger—and maybe redeem herself—leading to a startling conclusion that changes everything.



“Don’t let your mouth write checks your heart can’t cash,” 

The short description of what the story is all about is not as intense as the story itself. The fact that it is recommended to fans of Before I Fall and Thirteen Reasons Why is enough to tickle my curious cat. I adore both books so it isn't a surprise that I have a soft spot for this one too.

What made it even more intense and gripping would probably be the fact that the whole thing happened in a span of 24hours.  I became invested to it from the very beginning and it escalated even more at the end.

I could only imagine the thoughts going on in the mind of a sixteen-year-old girl when she received some strange call from a person thinking of doing suicide. It's already bad that she had to go to a trial because of a felony act and now, she was  given such huge responsibility for another person or life.


I simply love the smooth twists and turns. It was beautifully sewn together. It wasn't cluttered or confusing. It all made sense.

I have also a strong objection against bullying in any form or type so clearly I am not happy with Tori's character. I just can't accept the fact that she wasn't aware that she was practically goading someone to bully another person or the fact that she was actually bullying someone. So the whole dropping of another suicide situation on her lap made me thought that she kinda deserves it at some point. It served as a lesson to her actually, in my opinion though. I mean, she's obviously too selfish, inconsiderate and plain insensitive. I just hate people like her that doesn't think twice about the consequences of their actions as long as other people thinks that they're cool.


This book is amazing in its own ways. The protagonist may not have killed the bullied person but that doesn't make her an innocent at all. And that's what this book is all about and what it teaches. It teaches us how a simple act could become something big and could ruin someone else's life. It may be a joke to you or your friends, you may not see the person you commented with something bad but it doesn't mean that that person isn't hurt or not taking it seriously. We have no idea what each person is going through in their lives so we gotta be careful with how we talk to them or how we deliver those unnecessary jokes.

The ending is priceless, its something I did not see coming. I was left speechless and my eyes widened. It made perfect sense and I loved it.


It may sound boring to some because it is consisted mostly of phone conversations but I do believe that it is what made the whole story intense and thrilling, like you're on a thread with Tori too. And as I've mentioned, Tori is selfish and it made the readers jittery because there could be a possibility that she might not help him and would more likely not be involved with it.

I highly recommend this to all. It's a must-read. A different treatment about cyberbullying because we get to see the other side of the story. It's in the perspective of one of the bullies. It would teach all the readers the value of being responsible with their actions and words. Kudos to Leveen!

No comments:

Post a Comment