23 October 2015

Review: THE CATASTROPHIC HISTORY OF YOU AND ME


"My heart didn't fail, someone failed my heart."  
Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.  Brie's life ends at sixteen: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.  But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.  With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?  
“You can obsess and obsess over how things ended—what you did wrong or could have done differently—but there's not much of a point. It's not like it'll change anything. So really, why worry?” 

This is one of the few books I just love the most. I am completely and utterly head over heels in love with this book. I spent money just to have my own copy of this book and I don't spend much to just ANY book. This is just outrageously beautiful and awesmazing. I've read this book countless of times and I still get tingly inside. I still get the same emotions as when I first have read it. This book makes you feel the roller coaster of emotions and leaves you dumbfounded in the end because you just can't believe it is finished. 
And who did not see the plot twist coming in the end? I was like an OMG moment.

“When you're in love, the world is brighter. Sunnier. The air smells flowerier, and your hair is silkier, and suddenly you find yourself smiling at babies and strangers and old couples walking down the beach holding hands.” 
What I love about this book is that it's not cliche. You'd think it is but it's not. I expected something light and girly but I got more than that. It's full of humour, you'd laugh, you'd fall in love with the characters, you'd cry, sympathize. Basically, a silver platter of roller coaster ride of emotions. It's all sugar and spice and everything nice.  And one can easily relate to Brie's struggles and pain. And c'mon, the cover? It's so pretty. I love it better than with a girl in a purple dress. This one screams romance and cuteness and something mysterious.

At first, I wasn't buying the whole "literally died of broken heart" coz I've never heard such thing so I was thinking that maybe the author was just too over the top with the description. I also got heartbroken when Brie's boyfriend told her he doesn't love her anymore. I mean, what person would wanna hear that from a person he/she loves a lot and for someone so young? I already expected she wouldn't take it lightly. I mean, teens are more likely to take love "seriously". And then she died because of that? I was like, "Man, now it's hard to dump people coz you'll never know if they'd die of broken heart too". I seriously got worried for people who'd get dumped. We don't really know things like this, illnesses like this, so it's really scary. Thank heavens for the heads up, Jess!

"My yesterday, my now and my always and my forever." 
I got curious about the whole "I don't love you anymore". I had the gnawing feeling to know what had happened and how did it come to that point of no love anymore. And the fact that her bestfriend came into the picture, things started running in my mind and all I wanna do is know if what she and I are thinking are true coz damn, if my best friend do that, she wouldn't wanna know what I'd do to her, So yea, I felt betrayed along with Brie. We both assumed which was a bad thing. I'm just relieved, like Brie, that it's not what we assumed. And I guess, I can't feel anger towards the boyfriend because for starters, his intention is to not hurt her (which happened anyway, and even worst) but I think things would be different if he just trusted her and told her what was really going on. I mean, she was his girlfriend anyway.

When Patrick came into the picture, I liked his character right there and then. He's witty, humourous, annoying (to Brie), his character is simply lovable. And his relationship to Brie is just so cute. Love-hate? Who doesn't like that? They just balance each other out. I just love how he had the growing urge to help her through the stages and guide her along the way. And the nicknames? So cute. I could almost imagine him, 80's look with that jacket? Hmmm.

I like the little story about her friends. It's good that the book also give way to friendships. I like the stages and how they are well-written (in my opinion). It's something you could also relate to other situations in life which is great. I actually took notes about it. And my most favourite part of the book is the setting of the afterlife. Pizza parlor? Pizza all you want? Damn, I want to visit that place. Lol. This book is simply a page-turner. You'd want more and more from it. It's not predictable. You'd think you know what's gonna happen and them BAM! you're lost and dumbfounded because you did not see that coming. The twists are great. That's what I love about a book, it makes me narrow my eyes in confusion and be like, "What just happened?". I love being surprised. It only shows how well-written and well-thought of a book is. 

I have recommended this to my friends and they loved it. We gushed about it and we all felt the same emotions so now I'm recommending it to you guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment